Slumdog

I watched the film "Slumdog Millionaire" last night, and was blown away byt he effective use of storytelling and character development.  The scenes of the children running through the slums really captured the feeling and look that I imagine exists in the slums of India's larger cities.  However, there were two things that the movie left me with. 

The first is the nausea that words cannot accurately describe that came over me as I looked around my comfortable yet modest living room (by American standards) after seeing the horrors forced upon the children in film.  My brother who has done some mission work in India confirms that it is commonplace for children to be maimed or blinded in order to increase their earning potential as beggars.  It is definately time for me to re-read "Revolution in World Missions" .  You can receive a free copy by following the preceeding link.

The second thought pales in importance, but I was curious about the strong concept of "destiny" that consumed Jamal in the film.  I wonder how a muslim growing up in a predominanly Hindu culture gained that belief.  It appears to be summed up in the phrase: "It is written".  Maybe Danielle (one of my only readers) could shed some light on this, and if we are lucky even a few of her own thoughts on the film as she has just returned from India.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Wow! I was actually mentioned in your blog? I feel so honored.

We did actually see that movie on a nice pirated copy obtained from an Indian co-worker...

I guess my only deep thought on the subject (since deep thoughts are still buried under my jetlagged mind) is that I find Hindu ideas of fatalism to permiate every sect of the Indian population. Whether Christian, Hindu, or Muslim, there seems to be an acceptance of whatever "fate" throws. Where an american might try every possible avenue to change thier circumstances.

It can be a little frustrating sometimes!rating sometimes!