Profanity

Last week I heard my two year old son clearly and emphatically say the word, "Crap", but he was only repeating what he had just heard me say. Most people probably don't consider that word "profane", but it really got me thinking about the nature of profanity.

I have come to the conclusion that whether I said "crap", "flim-flam", or "Fuck" (yeah, I dropped it right in the middle of my blog; feel free to comment.) it would not have mattered. The issue is not the syllables that my mouth forms, but the fact that I have allowed words to come from my mouth without thought or proper contol. This problem is perfectly described in the Bible by the James:

"If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless." James 1:26 ESV

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

word up